Vegan nacho cheese: a love story, I mean taste-off »
I was on a mission. A mission to
gorge out elegantly eat every new vegan cheese on the market. For you! My most unselfish venture ever! To let you know, as the vegan consumer, where to spend your hard-earned dollars!
In the ring:
Food for Lovers Vegan Queso
Nacheez (mild and spicy versions)
Here’s what I have to say. If you are looking for a fight, go watch Rocky. Or The Fighter — it’s totally streaming on Netflix right now—‘cause I only have great things to say about both products.
Here’s how the taste-off went down. Sarah M. Smart came over with a bag of chips. I had the cheese. We ate.
Food for Lovers
- Spicy. I have a high tolerance, and didn’t notice until the roomie tried some and cried out “Whoo! That has some kick to it!”)
- Made in small batches by Crystal and Chris Tate in Austin, Texas.
- Every time I eat it, I think I belong in Austin. (SXSW!)
- Would bring it to a Superbowl party. Or somewhere there are sports. I don’t know. It has that taste to it. The only bros I know watch Star Wars, so I’d bring it to a screening of that. Non vegan guys would scarf this down. And not know it’s vegan.
- Has gluten. Sorry, celiac sufferers.
- Has nutritional yeast in it. I’m a vegan who dislikes nutritional yeast. NOT ANYMORE! I love this product! Cheesy, spicy, plus the tomatoes and peppers within taste fresh.
- No need to heat up. Can be eaten at room temperature.
- Comes in spicy and mild flavors! Spicy is good for me, mild is good for a dish like, mac ‘n’ cheese. Or my mom, pepper is too spicy for her.
- Doesn’t have gluten.
- Made by Isla Hess in Sacramento, Calif.
- Every time I eat it, I feel like maybe Sacramento isn’t a such a bad place after all. Maybe as a vegan, I could have a life out there.
- With this product, I imagine my girlfriends coming over, talking about things we do, putting on avocado face masks and making chili cheese tofu dogs without FEELING GUILTY! Cause Nacheez has so few calories with mucho taste! Bikini body, here I come. (Not. I just drank a six pack)
- OK, I love road trips. I miss gas station nachos. Nacheez brings me back.
- Has to be reheated. Not room-temperature friendly. But you own a pot and have a stove top, right?
All in all, both are worth your hard earned dollars. Food for Lovers is definitely a queso in the most delicious form ever, whereas Nacheez fills the void of the nacho cheese you’ve been missing.
Nacheez mac ‘n’ cheese:
What happens when Sarah M. Smart and I drink Trader Joe’s-brand Corona and wine:
Thank you so much Isla Hess, and Crystal and Chris Tate for providing your delicious and amazing products free of charge!