Men’s Vegan Dress Shoe Round-up: Step Up Your Game, Bros! »
Hello friends! I’ve been meaning to do a men’s dress shoe round-up for like ever but I totally forgot because HELLO I DO HAVE A LIFE. Just kidding, I was busy watching hulu. But then twitterer @Midnighthaircut reminded me, so here we go!
From Alternative Outfitters, we have the men’s Frey loafer in brown!:
Sorry, Cally is unavailable for comment so you will just have to go with my opinion for now. I think these are BEAUTIFUL.
Up next, the Brogue from Ethical Wares:
What do you think? I think they are a little square but classic.
Here we have the Justin shoe from Novacas (I like the brown ones that Mooshoes has but the pic was terrible so here they are in black. I guess the black is pretty nice too):
Now where I really scored was over at Vegetarian Shoes. They have several I like!
The antique Brogue for the dandy:
The Regent boot:
And the Jenson for the mod hipster:
Of course if you want to be a total pimp, which I know you do, you can get the new vegan loafer from Gucci:
Though the site says they are unavailable and I have no idea where to get these.
If you work in a more relaxed office like mine, you could totally do the Solis from Keep:
And there you have it! The men’s vegan dress shoe round-up! Congrats. Tell me if you get any of them and tell me which you like the best.
I forgot about Bourgeois Boheme, they have some great men’s shoes like this super-sharp Graham above.
The vegan dopeness: five faux-leather messenger bags »
What’s not to like about a messenger bag?! Besides the boob-divider thing. But some people find that attractive! I’m not saying you should fill these with PBR and hop on your bike, but they are all cross-body bags and they are all dope. This Espe one from Alternative Outfitters is what inspired my round-up today:
So professory! And at one point or another, everyone wants to bang a professor.
This next one is also from Alternative Outfitters, the Luella by Shiraleah:
I’m in love with this bag, goddang it! And I don’t care who knows! I’m a big fan of Shiraleah, I have one of their wallets and it RULES.
Here’s a hot Matt and Nat number from Mooshoes:
I like odd, shapely pockets. That’s also how I like my men, BTDubs.
Also from Mooshoes, the Strap Hanger bag from Tano:
LOTS OF POCKETS. That’s how you know how important someone is, by how many pockets they need. And keys.
Lastly, here’s a mini messenger from Beg for a Bag on Etsy:
I don’t feel super-confident about the quality of this one but sometimes you just want some damn pleather.
There you have it! Five faux-leather messenger bags curated by yours truly. Dishes are done.
Vegan Black Friday Deals, y’all! Okay, unless you’re very noble and/or lazy and are observing Buy Nothing Day, here are some ways to get your vegan discount on.
Over at Vegan Essentials, they’ve got deals all weekend. Today (Friday, Nov. 26), 15 percent off ANY order through midnight with coupon code “BF1”. This offer expires at midnight on Friday! On Saturday, Spend $50 or more and get free UPS Ground shipping (or the equivalent off of any other shipping option including 2nd Day Air or USPS Mail) with the following coupon codes:
- BF2A: Use for orders with items totaling $50 to $75 to receive free shipping
- BF2B: Use for orders with items totaling between $75 and $100 to get free Ground shipping
- BF2C: Use for orders with items totaling between $100 and $125 to get free Ground shipping
- BF2D: Use for orders with items totaling between $125 and $150 to get free Ground shipping
- BF2E: Use for orders with items totaling $150 or more to get free Ground shipping
And then! On Sunday! They’re giving you free stuff! WOO! Who doesn’t like free stuff with their order? Every order placed on Sunday will automatically receive a free bar of Veganu soap ($1.49 value), and all orders of $50 or more can also receive a free bag of Dandies vegan marshmallows, too! (a $5.29 value). Just add at least one bag of marshmallows and use coupon code “dandies” for any order of $50 or more (Veganu is added when your order is packed and does not need to be added to the cart for purchase), and they’ll be free on any order placed on Sunday (offer expires at 11:59 p.m., just before the start of Monday!).
OK! NEXT BUSINESS!
Alternative Outfitters is offering 15 percent off everything in store, Friday through Sunday, with the coupon code “15Thanks10”. Ow!
The Humane Society of the United States is offering keepsake ornaments for you and your family and friends, if you make a donation. Not sure if this is just for Black Friday but you know, they’re awesome so DO IT.
Whole Foods in the Bay Area (and maybe all over) are offering mad discounts on Thanksgiving food that wasn’t purchased. Gardein stuffed turkeys, Tofurkys, Field Roast Stuffed Hazelnut Cranberry Roasts. All of those are in the frozen section. Plus, other cheap stuff all over the store, including vegan mashed potatoes and pies, depending on location! GET IT!
Humanitaire is super-sadly going out of business. They’re selling off all stock in their store (online and in their Santa Monica storefront) at 40 to 80 percent off regular price effective today. Because they need to sell everything, the sale will continue until they run out of stock (or until Dec. 27, their last day). So, go get some good deals and support a vegan business on its way out. You will be missed, Humanitaire; hopefully you are on to bigger and better things! Or just to regroup. Running a biz must be NO JOKE!
KNOW OF ANY OTHER DEALS!? Let us know and we’ll add them! Happy shopping, vegans!
WHAT WHAT IN THE BUTT! 20 percent off everything at AlternativeOutfitters.com TODAY ONLY! We’re talking shoes! And coats! And t-shirts! And bags! And other shit to satisfy the consumer whore in you!
Shiraleah: the vegan hotness »
Three percent of their profits from the handbags go toward helping disabled children in Hanoi, Vietnam: “Our goal is to purchase needed rehabilitation equipment and double each child’s daily food budget to provide a balanced, nutritious diet.” Shweet! They’re also environmentally friendly and all that good crap. I recently got this wallet from them and it’s super-dope. Well made and I’ve stopped losing my credit cards.
The Elusive Vegan Peacoat »
For some people, the whole wool thing can be the most difficult concept of veganism* to grasp. Some people find it ridiculous. I find those people ridiculous! A brief internet investigation quickly reveals the super horrible abomination that is the wool industry. I can’t even talk about it anymore because it’s making me too sad!
The main point I’m making is DON’T BUY WOOL. In the summer, this isn’t so difficult. But when it gets to be wintertime, and all the omnivores trot out their winterwear with no regard for who or what it’s made of, clothing choices get more difficult. One such difficulty: the peacoat! Oh, the timeless peacoat, that woolen bastard! It is not easy to find good vegan alternatives. Not easy…for normal humans, that is! For Megan Rascal, it’s another story! That’s right, brothers and sisters, I’m here with a message of peace and non-wool peacoats for this winter season. Let’s get into it!
I’m just going to jump in with my top pick, this BB Dakota number from Alternative Outfitters. Look at this mofo. It’s THE HOTNESS! It’s $72 and hasn’t got a lick of wool. Booyah!
Next, we have a lovely fleece peacoat from Alloy. Remember Alloy? No? Well keep an eye out because they have lots of stuff that just happens to be vegan at very decent prices. This coat is on sale for $49.90. Not bad at all.
Now let’s get into some plaid! Wee! Target offers us this shweet plaid number for a mere $69.99. I’m into it.
More plaid, this time from Modcloth for $74.99. This one is pretty dope, admit it.
Now this next one I’m specifically including because Zappos saw fit to put this as the beginning of the description: “Show off your smokin’ hot bod in the O’Neill™ Blazin Jacket.” Smokin’ hot bod. All for $68.84. I think I made the right decision.
For the last coat, I’m bringing it upscale again to Theory. Yes, Theory has a non-wool coat for us! It’s $395! Yay! But for real, it’s Theory. That’s for ballers. I like this coat but the first one is still my favorite.
And that’s my vegan peacoat roundup! I thank you and the sheep thank you! Yee-ha!
*Screw you spell check! Veganism is totally a word!
Flip Winter the Bird with Your Very Own Vegan Boots! »
Put your sandals away kiddies, winter is here! That means it’s boot season. Don’t let all the Uggs and leather boots get you down, there are plenty of vegan boot options. Where? I’ll tell you where! I’ve searched online and compiled a brief sampling of some of the superfly options available. YOU’RE WELCOME.
Let’s move on to “booties” as they’re uncomfortably called. Vegan Chic has the Narmada boot from Neuaura for $124.99. If you don’t think these are awesome, you are crazy and I feel bad for your whole family.
For my last act, I am leaving you with an amazing pair of boots you cannot afford. Unless you can afford them in which case, let’s get married! I’m an excellent cook and I’m great in bed. These boots, named Finn (the picture is actually of an older model with a different name, but it’s the same), are made by my favorite vegan shoe company of all time, Beyond Skin. They are 100% vegan AND they are supercool about production, like no sweatshops. As it says on their site, “fret not, no humans, animals or small children were harmed in the making of our shoes.” The problem isn’t the shoes, it’s the damn U.S. dollar! It sucks! We can’t compete with the British pound! So the boots are £ 224 and according to google, today that is $368.50. Yowza. Actually, that’s not HORRIBLE. They last a long time. Anyway, buy them for me! Yay! It’ll be great.
Friday link-o-rama! »
1. Prop 2 passes in a landslide!!! This makes California the first state in the U.S. to ban battery cages (!!!!), and adds it to the list of states that have banned veal crates and gestation crates! It’s hard to describe how historic this win is but we’re incredibly excited to see these much needed changes in the industry. Next stop, everyone mandated to go vegan! KIDDING! KINDA!
2. A roundup of favorite sellers of vegan goods on Etsy, from New Vegetarian Life (blog appears to be down for now, so here is the Google cache link). Also, check out Etsy for Animals. A bunch of charitable craftsters donate goods to sell and 100% of the proceeds go to a different animal charity each month. SO AWESOME. We’ve purchased dog collars and vegan dog treats from them. According to Hazel, the treats are delicious. We love Etsy!
3. Do Dairy Products Help or Hinder Bone Loss? A discussion of the controversy over milk’s effects on bone density, and a “dairy addict” gets a bone scan (a rather unscientific sample size of one, mind). From Grass Dirt Corn.
4. Where President-Elect Obama Stands on Agriculture. Looks hopeful. Via Vegan.com. Also, as heard in his victory speech, President-Elect Obama (so exciting to type that!), promised his daughters a puppy. Luckily, Michelle Obama announced that they would be adopting a rescue puppy! Woohoo! Sign the online thank you card to the Obama family for choosing the best kind of dog, a rescued one! To the puppy that gets adopted by them: YOU ARE THE LUCKIEST G-D PUPPY IN THE WORLD I WISH I WERE YOU I AM SO JEALOUS!!!
Update: you have to watch this, it’s so cute. Obama talking about how his preference is a mutt, like him! But also Malia is allergic so it has to be a dog that won’t make her sneeze all the time. MIGHT I SUGGEST, a purebred rescue dog! There are tons! A poodle is perfect for people with allergies and there are lots of poodle rescues! Puppies, even! And I’m sure they rescue would bend over backwards to get the first family their first pick of adorable puppy!
5. Winter will soon be upon us and we at Vegansaurus know how hard it is to find an adorable vegan winter coat. Fucking wool WTF?! We found a great post on Vegan Fashion Blog about cute winter coats. We also suggest thrift stores, online vegan shops like Alternative Outfitters and places like H&M, Target and Old Navy where a bunch of the coats are vegan just because they’re too cheap to buy animal products. Of course there are all the other crappy things about companies like that. Ugh, life is impossible sometimes.
6. This is the kind of thing that gives us vegans a bad name. Please stop.
And I just could not decide between this single adorable white baby koala, and an entire adorable species of pink fairy armadillos.