Stogo is Sto-Going Away Forever! NOOO! »
Pretty much my favorite thing about New York City, Stogo Gourmet Dairy-Free Ice Cream in the East Village, is shutting forever as of Sunday. Goddamn Hurricane Sandy, ruining everything in my life. (Actually, I’m in Colorado where the weather is always perfect, so Sandy didn’t ruin anything in my life. UNTIL NOW.)
"The business had been battling high rent all year. Eight days without income during the post-hurricane blackout, combined with the upcoming wintertime slowdown in sales, led Stogo’s owners to make the call to close."
Stogo is the best vegan ice cream parlor I ever experienced. If you live near New York, get to the store this weekend and bid them farewell. If not, wish on a Tofurkey that the owners will decide to reopen somewhere. What is there to dream of anymore if not a creamy scoop from Stogo? Nothing. Nothing at all. I’m literally crying into an apple pie as I type. It’s messy. Go try to have a good day.
[via DNA Info]
[Photo by watashiwani via Flickr]
In Hurricane Sandy’s path? Here’s what to do if you have pets! »
HSUS has a great post with everything to do, check it out.
Things you can do right now:
- Put a collar with visible identification on your pets, including indoor-only pets
- Keep pictures of your pets on hand for identification purposes. Ideally, you should also be in the photo
- Create a pet emergency kit (see below) and refresh the items every few months
- Talk to your neighbors about how they can help your pets if you are not at home when disaster strikes
- Create a list of hotels that allow pets
- Plan on evacuating about 100 miles inland
This emergency supply kit should include:
- Three-or-more-day supply of food in airtight, waterproof container, and drinking water
- Bowls for food and water
- Current photos and physical description of your pets, including details on markings
- Medications, vaccination records and pet first aid supplies
- Comfort items such as a toy and blanket
- Small garbage bags
- For dogs include: leash, harness and a sturdy carrier large enough to use as a sleeping area
- For cats include: litter and litter box and a sturdy carrier large enough for transport
Stay safe, East Coast humans and other animals!!