Top 10 links of the week! A breezy ride through veganism! »
[Your cute animal video of the week, stolen from Pawesome. Look how quiet yet excited that dog is!]
Remember hearing like all wild fish are totally going to be gone soon? Well, some scientists disagree. Some agree. I hate fishing regardless. Sounds like a party!
Good news in San Francisco: Activists end live bird sale at SF’s Farmers’ Market!
Big surprise: Tilapia farming is totally effed!
Fish oil may not prevent depression; probably kills fish.
Apparently a dog helped take out bin Laden and this is my discussion topic of the week. Did you see Sarah’s post about parachuting dogs? I just think it’s crazy! I know they form bonds with their trainers or whatever but jumping out of planes? Seems effed! Some actually get PTSD! What do you think? Is what they do so important that it’s worth the risk? I don’t know, they can’t give consent. Seems effed.
Your weekly WTF from Defenders of Wildlife: “The U.S. House of Representatives today passed the first in a series of three bills that mandates the acceleration of the offshore drilling permitting process and opens up new areas to oil and gas drilling.”
This is kind of funny! From This Dish is Veg: Seven ridiculous restaurant logos that feature happy animals selling meat. [Ed.: for many more of these, check out Suicide Food!]
Friday link-o-rama! »
1. Prop 2 passes in a landslide!!! This makes California the first state in the U.S. to ban battery cages (!!!!), and adds it to the list of states that have banned veal crates and gestation crates! It’s hard to describe how historic this win is but we’re incredibly excited to see these much needed changes in the industry. Next stop, everyone mandated to go vegan! KIDDING! KINDA!
2. A roundup of favorite sellers of vegan goods on Etsy, from New Vegetarian Life (blog appears to be down for now, so here is the Google cache link). Also, check out Etsy for Animals. A bunch of charitable craftsters donate goods to sell and 100% of the proceeds go to a different animal charity each month. SO AWESOME. We’ve purchased dog collars and vegan dog treats from them. According to Hazel, the treats are delicious. We love Etsy!
3. Do Dairy Products Help or Hinder Bone Loss? A discussion of the controversy over milk’s effects on bone density, and a “dairy addict” gets a bone scan (a rather unscientific sample size of one, mind). From Grass Dirt Corn.
4. Where President-Elect Obama Stands on Agriculture. Looks hopeful. Via Vegan.com. Also, as heard in his victory speech, President-Elect Obama (so exciting to type that!), promised his daughters a puppy. Luckily, Michelle Obama announced that they would be adopting a rescue puppy! Woohoo! Sign the online thank you card to the Obama family for choosing the best kind of dog, a rescued one! To the puppy that gets adopted by them: YOU ARE THE LUCKIEST G-D PUPPY IN THE WORLD I WISH I WERE YOU I AM SO JEALOUS!!!
Update: you have to watch this, it’s so cute. Obama talking about how his preference is a mutt, like him! But also Malia is allergic so it has to be a dog that won’t make her sneeze all the time. MIGHT I SUGGEST, a purebred rescue dog! There are tons! A poodle is perfect for people with allergies and there are lots of poodle rescues! Puppies, even! And I’m sure they rescue would bend over backwards to get the first family their first pick of adorable puppy!
5. Winter will soon be upon us and we at Vegansaurus know how hard it is to find an adorable vegan winter coat. Fucking wool WTF?! We found a great post on Vegan Fashion Blog about cute winter coats. We also suggest thrift stores, online vegan shops like Alternative Outfitters and places like H&M, Target and Old Navy where a bunch of the coats are vegan just because they’re too cheap to buy animal products. Of course there are all the other crappy things about companies like that. Ugh, life is impossible sometimes.
6. This is the kind of thing that gives us vegans a bad name. Please stop.
And I just could not decide between this single adorable white baby koala, and an entire adorable species of pink fairy armadillos.