This Sunday! MickaCoo Pigeon and Dove Rescue Presents: WE CAN BE HEROES »
Meet real pigeons and get vegan treats this Sunday with MickaCoo! Here are the details:
Come see The Stevie Bird Show! Meet Pigeons in pants!
Sunday, August 26, 2012 from 2 -5pm
MickaCoo Pigeon & Dove Rescue
Adoption Fair & Benefit
at the Romberg Tiburon Center
3152 Paradise Drive, Tiburon 94920
Suggested donation of $20, you’ll get two bird shows, snack on vegan tasty treats, get great deals on cool auction and raffle items and learn more about these beautiful birds and why they make such fantastic pets. Please visit http://mickacoo.eventbrite.com/ to learn more and RSVP (free raffle ticket to first 50, no prepayment required).
Pigeon emergency in the Bay Area! »
Mickacoo, which is already filled to the brim with foster pigeons, is looking to re-home 100 pigeons that were abandoned by the owner of Lucky Dog Pet Shop in Berkeley. ON TOP OF THAT they are trying to help the survivors of more than 60 king pigeons that were “released” at a Milpitas business for good luck. King pigeons are domestic and can’t survive in the wild! Good going, jerks!
[Picture of some of the birds surrendered by Lucky Dog Pet Shop. See more here]
SF Bay Area weekend events spectacular! »
There’s a lot going on this weekend in the bay area. I’m gonna run some of the events for you so that you can live life to its fullest without lifting a finger. And isn’t that the goal? IT IS. Without further ado:
1) The Safari Club is in Foster City on Saturday and they are the fucking grossest worst: rich gross freak shows who travel around murdering animals in the wild while claiming to be a wildlife conservation group! More like a MONSTER PRESERVATION GROUP FOR MONSTERS. Anyway, tell them to get fucked at the protest.
2) Also on Saturday, there’s a fundraiser happy hour for Northern California Family Dog Rescue at Doc’s Clock! Go indulge your habit, it’s for the animals!
3) On Sunday, it’s Cupcakes for Choice! Eat sweet treats and raise money for Planned Parenthood! What could be better for your vagina and the vaginas you care about? DON’T ANSWER THAT.
4) On Sunday at 7 p.m., Mickacoo Pigeon and Dove Rescue is having a fundraiser at the SF Pour House! They will be screening the debut of Animal Planet’s show about (convicted rapist) Mike Tyson and his racing pigeons, Taking on Tyson. Come on down for drink specials and give some money to help the birdies!
5) TONIGHT! Vegan artist (and Vegansaurus fave!) Rick Kitagawa of Monkey + Seal fame is part of an art show about mythological beasts that looks to be rad and amazing! Also, Black Orchid Bakery (another Vegansaurus fave!) will be there with delightful vegan treats and also: Local Flavor SF will have VEGAN TACOS. It will run from 7 to 11 p.m. at Big Umbrella Studios in SF.
Am I missing anything?? Who knows, who cares! Well, I guess I do, so let me know!
[SuperPigeon from Mickacoo!]
Brainiac pigeons rescued from lab and need homes! »
Mickacoo has been up to some good work, as usual! This time, they’ve taken on 10 lab-test pigeons who are no longer wanted. They were all in stupid small cages with no natural light! Very sad. The experiments they were in however gave evidence that pigeons can see color and count! Pigeons are geniuses! Check out the Mickacoo blog for the whole story.
Here’s one of the beautiful pigeons in his crappy old house, and his flashy new digs
These brainy pigeons need homes! You should get a pigeon! How cool would you be? OMG so cool. I would be super-jealous. That’s important.
The January 2011 SF Vegan Bakesale: SUCCESS! »
Thank you to everyone who came out and bought things on Saturday! You helped us raise $2,000 for the benefitting organizations, Mickacoo and Muttville.
A king pigeon modeled a fancy pigeonkini!
People were thrilled about these cashew-cheese-filled, chocolate-covered dates!
We went from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at which point the leftovers consisted of maybe three jars of Frankie’s amazing pickled carrots, exclusively*. Thank you to Speesees for letting us take over their sidewalk—did anyone take advantage of the 10 percent discount for SFVBS customers?
If you missed the whole sale well, first, TOO BAD, and second, you can still donate independently to Mickacoo and/or Muttville—they can always use the extra money. Us, we’re going to split that $2,000 to hopefully help out a lot of pigeons and senior dogs. We’re so grateful to every one of you who came, to volunteer, to buy, to drop off delicious treats and leave—you’re all lovely human beings, and we hope to see you in a couple months at the next one. If you want to be on the baking and volunteer list, email Laura!
*Next time everyone buy these because delicious.
The next SF Vegan Bakesale is Saturday, Jan. 15! »
We were rained out in December (boo!) but we’re back for more! That’s how we do! The new! and improved! bakesale will take place in the Mission in front of Speesees at 1415 Valencia St. (between 25th and 25th Streets) from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. That’s about three blocks from BART so NO EXCUSES and we’ll see your lazy asses there. Speesees is also offering a 10 percent discount on their adorable organic baby and kid clothing to all bakesale attendees. I know your friends are having kids like crazy so no reason not to buy them cute crap. This is America, after all. Consume!
SO THE QUESTION IS: Can you bake??? YEAH YOU CAN, WHAT ELSE YOU GOT GOING ON? NOTHING!!! (How rude!) Anyway, Let me know!
Above: Robin counting bakesale money like a boss. Let’s make it rain for the animals! Further, I took this photo so I ain’t linking to SHIT!
Here it is: the flyer for the Saturday, Dec. 18 SF Vegan Bakesale! Woohoo! It’s going to benefit Muttville (senior dog rescue AWWW) and MickaCoo (a division of MickaBoo bird rescue dedicated to pigeons! Yay pidgies!). They are both rad and amazing and let’s raise some CHA-CHING MONEY CHA-CHING for them! OH YEAH, and there will be DOGS and PIGEONS—I mean, adoptable ones, not just the natives hanging around nearby looking for cupcake scraps—at the event! Yes!
If you want to bake (PLEASE), holler! If you need flyers to drop around town (PRETTY PLEASE), holler! Ow! Oh, and we made a Facebook event so RSVP and invite your internet friends, your IRL friends, your mom, your cousin’s dog, and the people from high school you were never really friends with but now pics of their new babies clog up your Top News feed! Woo!