Two Thanksgiving recipes from accidentally vegan Epicurious! »
If you get a CSA box in the Bay Area, it’s probably currently full of potatoes, leafy greens, apples, carrots and butternut squash. Maybe tomatoes & cilantro, too. And butternut squash. Let us marvel at its beauty.
In a recent search, I turned up not one but two (2!) delicious vegan recipes utilizing almost the whole box of produce, on Epicurious, a site that could also be named “Dairycurious with a Pork Garnish.”
Let me show you it.
- This one used apple, carrot and lots of butternut squash.
- I added pepitas (recommended!)
- The house still smells of delicious curry.
- This one used potato, tomatoes, and squash, but I threw in bonus carrots and chard. It worked out well.
- The saffron flavor is amazing, I would recommend using more. Yes I know it’s like $1 per strand. Live a little.
- The spices really elevate this soup from boring vegetable soup to exotic fragrant getaway.
These are both perfect for Thanksgiving—the rice dish would make an excellent stuffing alternative.
And, we still have half a butternut squash, despite it being the dominant ingredient in both recipes. I never realized how much fucking squash is in one of those things.
[photo by Vancity Allie]