So I was just doing my morning cruising (for cute animal videos and pictures of food, WHAT’S UP!), and found this Raw Strawberry Cheesecake over on the PPK. DEAR GOD, what is up with this!? How does this exist? I want it so bad that I think if I just sit here and think on it, it will appear in front of me. So that’s what I’m gonna do all day. Well, at least I have plans now!
Cupcake Blogger (I love/hate that such a category of blogger exists) Rite of Cake challenged a group of 50 women to try vegan and non-vegan cupcakes (A TRUE PEPSI CHALLENGE!) and report back on which one they preferred. Well, see above. BAM, BITCHES!
In even more awesome news, it was a Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World recipe vs. a Martha Stewart recipe. So what it comes down to is that a couple chicks from Brooklyn are better than the Queen of Clean, or whatever her ridiculous nickname is.
This Saturday (Jan. 23) is the SF Vegan Bakesale for Haiti! All proceeds from the sale go to Partners in Health in Haiti and Food for Life. Please come and buy everything and donate more if you can because obviously, the whole situation in Haiti is beyond belief and we must do something. Vegansaurus PSA BREAK!
Oh wait, there’s more. If you’re on Yelp, please say that you’re attending the event so that it gets popular!!
If you want a copy of the flyer to post somewhere it’s not fucking raining (good luck with that!), email me!
Mad thanks to Jen from Sugar Beat Sweets for doing a major chunk of the work and makin it happen, cap’n. You’re a superstar!
Oh and if you’re not in SF, there are currently bakesales happening all over the country, check ‘em out!
Friday link-o-rama! »
As usual, we end the week with a trip around the internets!
1. Via Eater SF, it looks like The Usual Suspects is opening up again. The menu looks like fairly boring veg cafe fare. If anyone gets there before us, could you report back? We’re not holding our breath or anything.
2. At Lifehacker, Jackson West tells us how, supposedly, to keep vegan guests coming back for more. As usual, the comments quickly take a turn for the vegan-negative worse. And the post includes a link to a three-year-old article on vegan recipes for your iPod. Surely the geeks at Lifehacker couldn’t have at least done a google search and found the PPK, the 8 billion vegan food groups on Flickr, the Vegan YumYum iPhone app or hell, even adorable us?
3. Speaking of the PPK, they have perfected their Earth-Balance-free chocolate chip cookie recipe. Did you know that all of the Vegansaurs have recently moved or will be moving? We will happily accept these as housewarming gifts. I’ll take 200.
4. Roger Ebert rhapsodizes on the joys of rice cookers. And on a related but weird note, here is a recipe (very easily veganizable) for using your rice cooker as a bread machine, via Comics Worth Reading.
5. Via Foodbuzz, I found a really cool recipe for one of our favorite things: creamy baked pasta with a cornucopia of vegan cheeses (or in this case, two kinds and some faux sour cream). Laura made a similar-looking vegan ziti for brunch last year that I still think about (and that I would like to eat again, please make it!)
Finally, as usual, your moment of adorable-ness, this week from the Puppy Cam, which has the entire Internet in a trance!
Friday vegan blog link-o-rama! »
This week in vegan blogs!
1. All beef and no soy make Johnny a Dull Boy: how to take a vegan to Johnny Rockets and not have them plot your death afterwards.
2. San Francisco Veg Fest: Hot veggies (and some hippies, let’s be real here) take over the San Francisco County Fair Building for food, fun and uh, belly dancing? Our friend Sugar Beat Sweets will have a booth. Find out the whole schedule here!
3. On Being a “Flexitarian”: A discussion of a meaningless term!
4. Vegan MoFo Is Upon Us!: VeganSaurus is participating in the PPK's month o' food vegan blog fest for the month of October! Check out all the other blogs participating and if anyone can tell us how to add the Bloglines feed to Google Reader (the preferred RSS reader for the Vegansaurus crew), we would cover you in vegan-friendly kisses.
And now, our favorite cute animal picture of the week…