The Vegansaurus Top 15 vegan celebrities! »
LA Weekly just posted their top 10 vegan celebrities, which got me wondering why they should have all the fun. As many of you pointed out, a few of those celebs aren’t even vegan anymore (Alec and Olivia, I’m looking at you.) So … drum roll, please … we at Vegansaurus have put together our own top 10 list, only it contains 15 of our favorite vegan celebs! What do you think? Does this make you love us more? Hate us? Feel nothing? Ha! I bet you can’t stop reading anyway!
In no particular order (I’m very sensitive myself and do not want these beautiful specimens of veganism to feel jilted), I present you with…THE VEGANSAURUS TOP 15 VEGAN CELEBRITIES!
The first two are the winners of a little poll we conducted around the first of year, asking you about your favorite vegan musicians. You guys went totally bonkers for
1. Moby! This guy has been vegan for what feels like forever, which roughly translates to about 18 years. He’s co-owned a vegan cafe and co-written a book, all the while working as a recording artist, hot dang! I went to a BBQ he hosted at SXSW last year, which was pretty fantastic, and maybe one of my favorite meals from 2011. Keep doing you, Moby; keep doing you.
2. Ted Leo! Now, don’t get upset, but I don’t know much about this guy. That doesn’t matter, however, because you, our lovely readers, LOVE this guy. You couldn’t hold back your devotion in our poll! Please, feel free to school me about Ted Leo in the comments, I will not mind. According to this interview, he loves Millennium (holla!). Maybe us S.F.-dwellers will run into him there. Jealous?
And now for our picks:
4. Fiona Apple! Angst sounds so sweet mixed with a vegan diet. My Tumblr and Twitter feeds are still filled with people going nuts about her new album, and that dropped like four months ago! Has anyone seen one of her epic onstage meltdowns? I’m not hating—I have epic meltdowns every day of my life, as witnessed by my friends, family, roommates and co-workers.
5. Alicia Silverstone. She videotaped herself feeding her kid like a goddamn bird, which grossed out pretty much everyone who saw it. I still shudder, thinking about it. In other news, she loves Food For Lovers queso, wrote a pretty awesome vegan lifestyle book, and STARRED IN CLUELESS (not to mention those Aerosmith videos).
6. Woody Harrelson. Raw vegans tend to be pretty sexy (hey Sarah E. Brown, I’m winking at YOU), and he especially did not disappoint while kicking undead ass in the movie Zombieland! Looks like he even got his hands on some vegan Twinkies for a scene in said movie. HEY WOODY, I MAKE THOSE FOR A LIVING!
7. Tony Kanal, the bassist for No Doubt! This one’s for me and my girl Tashina, the biggest No Doubt fans you may ever meet. Don’t hate, celebrate! Gwen Stefani was just photographed leaving a vegan restaurant in L.A.; maybe that was Tony’s influence? (Though I hear Gavin’s a longtime vegetarian.)
9. Emily Deschanel! She’s so beautiful and articulate, and her penetrating stare scares the shit out of me! She weathered a vegan pregnancy AND LIVED TO TALK ABOUT IT! Take that, everyone who says it’s not possible! Ha!
10. Scott Jurek, because vegan athletes/authors are superstars! Read all about Rachel’s love for Scott here! To quote the post, “Scott Jurek could basically kick your ass any day of the week, including days where he hasn’t slept the night before, has a broken ankle, and already ran 75 miles.” Dang.
11. Portia de Rossi and Ellen DeGeneres! They are so great about making veganism look fun and accessible. There is so much to love about this superstar couple and the work they do for animals. Too bad about the restaurant deal falling through, but yay for vegan dog food!
12. Erykah Badu! She’s every vegan jazz musician’s No. 1 crush, or maybe that’s just my old roommate Jeremy. Remember when she busted onto the scene with “On and On" then sent everyone into a flurry with her video for "Window Seat”? This “Queen of Neo-Soul” is truly an inspiration when it comes to forward thinking politics and raising her vegan family!
13. Alanis Morisette! I had a co-worker at the Chicago Diner who thought the lyrics to You Oughta Know were “… and the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me”. HA! Now you’ll always sing that, instead of the right words, JUST LIKE ME! It’s a curse I bestow on you. Also, Alanis is quite lovely, and wasn’t she great on Weeds? Oh yes, and of course You Can’t Do That on Television!
14. Russell Simmons! Man, do you follow this guy on Twitter? He’s like a guru for people who don’t believe in gurus (me)! And seriously, wasn’t the best part of Kimora Lee Simmons’ show when he came on and moderated the crazy? Our Megan is always covering Russell’s vegan moves here on Vegansaurus, so I’ll just direct you to one of my favorite posts of hers, also featuring Martha Stewart! Keep giving us your vegan recipes, Russell! Keep giving us your wisdom!
15. Thom Yorke! OBVIOUSLY, right?! Most everyone’s favorite band has been Radiohead at some point, hasn’t it? He ate at Café Gratitude once, when I was working in the Central Kitchen of Scandal. Everyone went nuts, as to be expected. I’m never around when the celebs come to the restaurants I work at and it’s not fair, because I just love them so much! Actually, scratch that—M.C. Hammer came into Source recently (and I didn’t recognize him without his signature pants).
Brad Pitt! I was shocked to find out he’s vegan. On second thought, it made sense. He would just quietly be vegan, helping to rebuild New Orleans, raising a family, and avoiding Jennifer Aniston’s rabid fan base of haters.
Free shit, Peta’s non-crazy iphone app and WOODY HARRELSON’S WEBSITE O’CRAZY! All this and more in Friday Link-o-rama! »
Hey, we’re nothing if we’re not inconsistent. And attractive. And very inconsistent. But whatevs, here we go.
Want to win a free copy of The Vegan Scoop and make really delicious vegan ice cream all summer long? Yeah you do, fatty. Head on over to VegWeb giveaway thread and let them know your favorite vegan ice cream flavor is for a chance to win! Speaking of ice cream because I CAN’T SEEM TO STOP HELP ME, Vegan Dad has a delicious-looking recipe for Strawberry Ice Cream up. Do want!
"Put the Lime in the Coconut" Vegan-themed potluck over at Notes from the Vegan Feast/21st Century Table. Jonas really loves that song, it’s his favorite, so this is up here for him.
Fancy Nancy just sent us a recipe for Rhubarb Puff Pie along with the words, “even I would eat this.” Strong endorsement! Speaking of delicious looking vegan pie things, the kitchn has up a photo of the most amazing looking plum and fig tart i want to eat it all night long, luckily they link to the recipe too! It’s no surprise they are from Vegan Feast…everything she makes looks to be made of magic!
Michael Taylor, a former Monsanto executive, had joined the FDA as “senior advisor to the commissioner.” Essentially, that means that he has tons and tons of power. This is the same dude who approved the use of Monsanto’s genetically engineered growth hormone in dairy cows. OBAMA WTF? (link)
Peta’s done something useful! That involves neither fake blood nor (nearly) nude ladies! Yes, everyone is surprised. Be Nice to Bunnies is a fancy new iPhone app that, among other things: gives you access to Peta’s Cruelty-Free Database; provides multiple search options; and is regularly updated to coincide with the actual CFD. With regular use, this will change your shopping habits, starting with its purchase for $1.99.
Are you aware of Voice Yourself, Woody Harrelson’s insanator website? I’ve been exploring it for hours and have yet to determine its reason for existing. Pertinently, I did learn that Woody and his wife, Laura Louie, consider themselves to be “raw food, vegans [sic] who flow with the ever-changing aspects of [their] lives. [They] eat predominantly raw food, consume honey and enjoy a balanced diet.” I did not understand their “Mission Statement,” like, at all, so here is a description for you instead: Voice Yourself is:
another half-baked celebrity vanity project an impenetrable hodgepodge of neo-hippie crap a nice-enough effort to built a socially conscious online community.
Vegan spinster aunt explains her guilt for accidentally killing a centipede in a glue trap meant for spiders, and how she, a true insect-loving person, came to commit such a foul deed.
That’s it for today. Next week maybe we will have more links. Definitely, if you send us some.